From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 08:44:05 -0800
>In these gene modification treatments, what genes are being modified?

Allen, we keep jumping from topic to topic, and this is getting confusing.

RNA interference (RNAi) is not genetic engineering.  The immediate
practical applications of interest to beekeepers would be the feeding of
double-stranded RNA sequences (dsRNA) to bees (to suppress viruses, nosema,
or varroa), or the spraying of dsRNA products upon plants to cause negative
effects upon specific pests.  These technologies will soon come to market,
and I have seen them be successful.  I am currently involved in field
testing.

This is analogous to natural processes that happen within every organism's
body, and to you every time you eat a meal--there are tons of dsRNA and
micoRNA products in plant and animal cells--many of which pass into your
bloodstream with every meal, and may have positive or negative effects.  I
understand Peter's concerns, but have not observed any negative effects
upon colony health.

On the other hand, Peter also introduced an entirely different
subject--that of gene insertion (or permanent gene knockout).  I have not
heard of this technology having any relationship to date with beekeeping.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA