From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 01:00:41 +0000
Here in the UK the bees, Apis mellifera mellifera, must have wintered largely on crystallised ivy honey  since we became an island and the ice retreated about 20,000 years ago.

* * *

Not only that, but a lot of people have success feeding hard blocks of sugar candy in winter. I wonder what factors are involved in the apparent difference in these reports.

PLB

It is a good point Peter. I would suggest the air relative humidity that could be a factor. However there might be other physical properties of honey that could contribute to this factor. I wonder also about heather honey. Can the bees overwinter on this type of honey?

Medhat