Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 01:00:41 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Here in the UK the bees, Apis mellifera mellifera, must have wintered largely on crystallised ivy honey  since we became an island and the ice retreated about 20,000 years ago.

Not only that, but a lot of people have success feeding hard blocks of sugar candy in winter. I wonder what factors are involved in the apparent difference in these reports.

PLB

It is a good point Peter. I would suggest the air relative humidity that could be a factor. However there might be other physical properties of honey that could contribute to this factor. I wonder also about heather honey. Can the bees overwinter on this type of honey?

Medhat

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2