From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:22:32 -0400
I am interested in techniques for looking at pollen in honey samples.  I
would like to try to avoid using a centrifuge, and am curious to know if
anyone is looking at pollen in raw honey and what the techniques are.  I
don't need to identify the pollen to plant species, just detect the
presence of pollen.  I have used PC-enabled microscopes in the past - like
the Intel-Play scope - and I like their simplicity and ability to be
carried and deployed in the field.  I am going to be looking at pollen with
a project in another country so the portable scopes are appealing in that
they are light weight and cheap, can be viewed, displayed, saved, and
printed via the PC.  I am going to be working with a honey processor who is
currently over-filtering honey and I want to make sure he leaves the
natural pollen in the honey while taking out the other extraneous parts.  I
am using a polariscope, and have thought about trying to magnify that
image.  Any thoughts on that process?  And, does anyone manufacture
polariscopes?  Any advice appreciated.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC