Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:21:43 -0400
On 9/18/13 7:21 AM, Peter Loring Borst wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2013, at 11:10 PM, allen<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

Please do not publish my email address on an open web page such as this.
Spam bots harvest addresses from text these pages, but cannot harvest
addresses in the the headers as they are concealed to non-subscribers.
Please read what you are posting before hitting 'send'.

>>> As I recall, the collapse was not immediate or proportional to
>>> the measured infection at the moment, but occurred after a
>>> passage of time.
> Really, these are loaded statements. "Immediate" vs "passage of
> time"; "proportional".

We had part of that team over for a conference, and it seems to me that
I recall that the collapses occur in the second or third year, much like
varroa.  With varroa, a colony may survive untreated the first and
second year, but collapse the third.

Personally, I have my doubts about the importance of nosema generally
and never treat for it, but there are enough well-qualified people who
have documented problems that there must be something to it.  .

Measuring nosema is not simple as it is destructive and dependant on
time and technique.   A series of measurements on the same hive over
weeks may give widely inconsistent results.

AT any rate, that is what I recall.