From:
Alf Bashore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:29:48 -0400
Hello,

I have checked into some of the links offered in a previous post to me.
Checkerboarding to me seems that it will be easier for me to deal with
my colonies. Especially since I deal and capture swarms from my own
yard. If my out yards swarm, then I haven't yet seen the evidence of the
act. Making splits have been my way of attempting to prevent swarms and
expand my colonies. But this has always negatively affected my yields.

After reading the article at:   http://www.bwrangler.com/lche.htm  I
have realized that this is a very useful technique and not as disruptive
as it sounds. Drawn comb is placed at the ENDS of the brood NOT in it's
midst. and two supers above this brood has alternating frames of stored
honey and empty comb or foundation. It is no more work than... No, it
appears to be less work than going thru each frame looking for queen
cells and/or reversing brood bodies.

I have never gotten good yields on my colonies. Some is probably because
of location. Some is probably because of weak colonies or new splits.
Some is probably because of not monitoring the bloom cycles until this
year to suddenly realize that I may have not been placing supers on
early enough.

But I want to try checkerboarding next year. Yes, along with relocating
my home yard and one out yard, along with earlier supering, and while
still expanding the number of colonies managed with Northern (USA) bred
queens.

Remember how long it took for Langstroth style equipment took to become
standard. It was 70 or 80 years. And how long did it take for beekeepers
to understand that bees mate in the flight and a few more decades to
know that the queen mated with multiple drones?

Though I am near retirement, but still a young beekeeper of 4 1/2 years,
I think this technique deserves a a good study and a trial run by all
beekeepers. It would be a worthy project for bee clubs to trial.

Thanks for the help with finding the info on this intriguing topic.

Alf Bashore