From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:20:58 +1000
Allen Dick wrote

> What I wonder now is what is the normal mortality of bees +inside a hive+
in
> summer?

I suppose it comes down to what is meant by "inside a hive".  If it is
actual bees dying in a hive, then I would suggest it will be a lot less than
those that die outside the hive.  In our case, we have a lot of bees in the
hive in late spring/early summer but by the end of summer the numbers have
dropped off.  The dead bees are not visible in front of the hive and it is
not often that you see bees carrying away a lot of dead bees.  I would
suggest they die in the field.

However, if Allen can get his trial up and running for his next summer, we
will have a definitive answer.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA