Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 19:08:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Kevin wrote:
> I know I have rambled about in this message

Not really. In fact, not even close to some of the rambles we have listened to in the past. 

But, I really appreciate you coming forward with your story. A lot of small timers hear that you "should" be able to keep bees alive with NO treatments, and I fear that if they aren't able to, they blame themselves. I have had a very hard time with mites, and I feel it is due to the presence of so many apiaries in my area. I would like to use thymol but have had the same problems as everyone else with it. 

Regarding the lawn care and homeowner's spraying, this is a real problem in this country. I don't think "most" of the pesticides are being applied by suburbanites, as was suggested, but it is known that they are applying more pesticides per acre than farmers, and a lot of them think that if they can get it at the local big box store it "can't be that bad" which is false. You can get serious poison at your local garden store. 

I would suggest to anyone who suspects pesticide damage, to set up some apiaries in a more pristine locale and see if there is a difference. I like having bees at my house, like anyone, but there isn't much agriculture out this way, it's mostly forests and pastures that have been let go. In suburbia there are a lot of toxins being used, and many of them can damage bee colonies.

Thanks for the contribution

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2