From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 17:00:37 EDT

Jim is correct, a DROPLET of 500 ppm imidacloprid would be an enormous
contact dose to a termite.  We've done extensive contact toxicity testing,  had
many long conversations with Larry Atkins before he passed away.

Dr. Atkins discovered,  and we soon came to the same conclusion,  that one
has to keep the test droplet size VERY small - or else  just the carrier
chemical alone will be toxic.  In this case, the  carrier was ethanol, which in
itself is toxic to bees.  There's always  a carrier chemical - you have to dissolve
the pesticide in something to form a  droplet, and its usually NOT water.

Larry advised using nano quantities (dispensed from rather pricey
pippettes).   We agree.  We've fielded many calls from labs  trying to use Larry's
contact toxicity assay - typically they use far to large a  droplet, and end up
killing a sizable number of the control insects (contact  droplet same size as
test droplet, but without the pesticide).

Jerry

favorites at AOL Food.