Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2013 20:13:21 -0600
> Lately, I've become a big fan of packages for new beekeepers instead
> of nucs.  You may sell off "relatively new" combs in your nucs,
> Randy, but I've seen those that don't.  I would be embarrassed to
> sell to hobbyists some of the combs I've seen being sold in nucs to
> newbees.  I think it is irresponsible, as brand-new beekeepers
> often/usually don't even realize what they are getting or what they
> should do with it.  The only solution I see is to promote the
> purchase of packages instead.

I really have to shake my head and wonder.

People are so easily distracted by everything but the central issue.

This is particularly true of young idealists who read too much.
I know because I was one once, and I paid the price for believing theory
and sophism over the quiet advice of old beekeepers.

When we old dudes (Who don't care what anyone thinks and don't need th
money) sell a nuc, what we are selling is a functioning colony, and we
fully intend that if the buyer has half a brain that they should come
back smiling and thank us. Most times they do.

The frames and the comb are immaterial and disposable.  If we have any
integrity at all, we are selling a superior nucleus colony.  The bees
and the brood are far more valuable than the equipment.  IMO, the fact
that the equipment is often less than brand new and shiny says something
about what makes good bees.  (It appears that Randy agrees).

What the buyer does with the 'container' is up to the buyer, but be
aware that it was good enough to produce the bees that the buyer was not
able to produce or save. 'nuff said.

IMO, a nuc from a beekeeper with integrity, even on old frnmes with
repairs and some drone comb beats a package nine times out of ten.

I have new combs and old combs, but when  I go looking for a colony
worth selling, and one that will not make me doubtful, chances are it is
on old, dark combs.

I know all the theory, but you can't eat theory.  Go with what works.

Excuse my rant.

---
It works in practice, so why can't it work in theory?

Allen Dick
Swalwell, Alberta, Canada
51°33'37.58"N  113°18'54.24"W
Semi-retired - 40+ years keeping bees - 4500 hives max
Currently running 20 to 100 hives
Hives for sale year-round
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/