From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 22:54:24 +0000

> On Nov 2, 2015, at 10:33 AM, James Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Point (a) above was a thinly-veiled attempt to resurrect the long-dead "hive

> registration and inspection" program, which the New York "Ag and Markets"

> group attempted to put in place several years ago.

Registration of apiaries was implemented almost a century ago in California, and I never heard anyone there complain about it. Plainly identifying your hives was required and seemed reasonable to me. Especially when I was called about a wild fire in the vicinity of my hives. I had a yard of 200 nucs which I could have moved away from the fire, except they were gone by the time I got there. I would rather have the option to be notified and then decide about the feasibility of moving the hives than to not be notified at all.

* * *

> In 1927 the California Legislature passed an Apiary Inspection Law which provides for the annual registration of apiaries in the state by the County Agricultural Commissioners. Those reports contain information concerning exact locations of apiaries, numbers of colonies, production of honey and wax, presence or absence of disease, and migrations of apiaries. — CM Zierer - Geographical Review, 1932

> Registration of apiaries has been in operation in Ontario since 1925, and we have increased our registration each year since that time. In the 1929 registration there were 6,337 apiaries registered with a total of 159,138 colonies. — F. ERIC MILLEN, Professor of Apiculture and Provisional Apiarist, Ontario Agricultural College,Guelph, Canada.

> The result of the Conference re: Legislation, has the most important bearing in regard to the future of beekeeping in England, and I shall be particularly interested in the future movements of the Authorities. I am enclosing an advanced slip of our Apiaries Act (1908), with the Amendments and Additions (1913) inserted, which you may think worth publishing to compare with your suggested Act — the copy I am enclosing is our Act up-to-date. I consider the clause re: registration of all beekeepers or apiaries suggested in your Act to be of the highest importance. I suggested in my Annual Report for 1908-9 such a clause, which was embodied in our Act in 1913. The weakest part of our Act is the maximum penalty (£5) which a former Minister of Agriculture was responsible for. —  Bee World (1920)

* * *