From:
Mario Pittori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:14:47 +0100
Peter Borst wrote

> This subject centers around the question "In what way are they
> domesticated?" In other words, how are they distinct from a wild hive? If
> the answer is: no different, then there is your answer. African bees in
> hives seem every bit as wild as African bees in trees.

African bees have never been domesticated, so yes, if you put them in a
hive, they are still every bit as wild as African bees. As I have said
before, there is a difference between the European and the African races
- the Europeans have been domesticated.

Bill Truesdell wrote

> In truth, they act the same in a tree as they do in a box in your apiary.

But your bees in the tree are ferals (escaped domestibee's), so you can
not really expect them to be that different, can you ?

Peter Edwards wrote

>  what about: 'creating a dependency so that the animal loses its
> ability to live in the wild'?

You consider cats domesticated ? They have not lost their ability to
survive in the wild.
--
  Mario Pittori

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                    *
* Help with data collection regarding Colony Collapse Disorder at www.beesurvey.com *