From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:53:34 -0500
> It is amazing how different the situations appear to be in your two
> states!
> In one, bees apparently rarely collect corn pollen, and in the other they
> pack combs full of it.

Simple really. Bees will pack in corn pollen if all there is too collect. No
doubt about it!

Apparenty in Brain's area the bees have got better pollen to collect. In a
discussion with David Hackenberg on the subject we both agreed that in my
area when the clover flow stops then its time to move the bees away from
corn and into open range country. Problem solved!

> I'm trying to sort out why N ceranae can be such a problem to some
> colonies,
> yet not to others.  Your statement above may be a clue.  N ceranae appears
> to be a major problem when the bees are under nutritional stress-

I don't think we can paint nosema ceranae with a broad brush. All my hives
were exposed in California but only big problems in certain yards/areas.

I keep track of dead out boxes and believe that a smart move would be to use
acetic acid on ALL dead outs. Never simply stick in a nuc or package. Then
in my opinion you would see less nosema ceranae problems but only a
hypothesis so far. However deadout boxes from nosema ceranae seem to show
nosema ceranae problems faster.

When I find a few hives in a yard with nosema ceranae issues it seems most
hives have got problems within a few weeks but usually not all hives.
However when I see several hives in a yard with nosema I start treating and
I can not see not treating all the hives in the yard. treating only a few
simply does not make sense to me.

Hope Dee is not listening!
I also believe that the practice used in California of a drench every so
often of fumidil might be a better control than simply feeding fumidil
spring & fall (even if the bees are taking syrup). Cheaper too!

bob