From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:59:00 -0400
         Mark Egloff wrote

>     The brood is not what I would call "widely dispersed".  It is
>     in an area about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.  However within
>     that sphere the pattern is not concentric and solid but with
>     open cells scattered liberaly within the sphere.  Eggs observed
>     yesterday were standing straight up and had not leaned yet.
>     The queen was not observed.

>     One telling point is that the bees...how should I describe
>     it.... seem...well, lost.  They have not cleaned out a grease
>     patty placed on the hive in early August and not touched the
>     Terrapattie placed 2 weeks ago.  Opening the hive is like
>     opening the door to my 14 year old son's room.  I don't "feel"
>     a sense of order.  I feel a sense of "What do we do next?"

My view. A classic case of a failing Queen. Jim Amrine pointed out one of
the symptoms of PMS is scattered brood! A failing queen does not necessarily
turn into a drone layer. A poorly mated queen (unnoticed swarm or
superscedure) will exhibit these symptoms. Sometimes even the genetic make
up seems to have something missing, as if she is a few sandwiches short of a
picnic. Suggest you take your pick!! :-)
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *