Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:01:49 GMT+0200
Hi Paul/All

Good to hear the bees at least tried.

Something that springs to mind, that I have never tried, but that
would be interesting to hear what happens would be to put the
emergency queen above an excluder in the second brood box - and force
here to become a drone layer over winter, so next spring you will
have a strong double queen hive producing drones and workers (note -
workers determine the number of drone eggs being layed, so possibly
this way you will ensure you get enough workers and drones ebing
layed, as the worker layer won't be disturbed and lugged to the edges
to produce drones etc.

Just an idea. Remember I know nothing about keeping bees in the
North, with winters and so on, so this idea may be either completely
nuts, or needs a bit of serious modification.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139
South Africa

Time = Honey

If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space!!