From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:43:07 -0600
>We use only type 55, never type 42, and we always buy the on->spec syrup,

We only buy the 55 off the tanker from a large bee supply house. I have used
plenty of 42 bought locally (but not in the last five years) to feed in
spring as the 42 is all we can buy locally.

I have fed plenty of off spec along with a a group of three other beekeepers
which we got  for free from one of the  above local suppliers of 42 spec
HFCS. The 42 HFCS did granulate fast and we did store in steel 55 gallon
drums (plus totes if to be used right away). None of us had any problems and
we all felt the savings in cost offset the risk in the around five years we
supplimented with the off spec.

 *Fellow BEE-L people please beware of off spc HFCS as beekeepers have
reported problems and bee kills.*

 Getting rid of off spec HFCS is a big problem for the plants as the syrup
can not be run in the drain or put in the land fill. High off spec the
beekeeper turned down was shipped to a larger plant for disposel by rail
car.

The manager of the syrup place was a friend of one of the beekeepers so we
did not get any syrup way off spec except a single drum which we returned.

Allen said:
since there was a terrible wreck in Western Canada years ago when some
beekeepers were sold off-spec HFCS and their bees died off over winter.

We have never fed off spec to winter on.

We bought a semi load of 55 HFCS on a laid on its side semi a couple years
ago. The truck was  righted and we pulled  the drums to the back and hauled
home. Even the undamaged tightly sealed drums had the be heated to
ungranulate before using. We used the heavily damaged drums first but all
were fed within a year.

>Apparently type 42 is okay where winters are shorter, but not up >here, so
we do not even consider it.

Every beekeeper I have ever talked to uses the 55 if he can find the 55. you
can add as  much water to thin as you feel neccessary in spring. I do thin
in spring as the bees take up the thiner version faster when day temps are
warm but nights are cold in our area.

>I wonder if you are using type 42?

Not in over five years since I joined up with a few beekeepers to buy off
the tanker.

What we see granulation problems with is 55.

 > From what I recall, type 42 is cheaper,

Not in our area when you do the math for content times price. The 42 is
within three cents of 55 (most of the time) in our area but we can get the
42 from two different plants every day of the week in totes  but not 55
gallon drums.

>but much more prone to granulate. (42 type)
Sure is!

> Seems to me that I have heard that 42 is not as good a feed, either, for
several reasons.

I think mostly beekeepers opinions. My opinion is  42 works ok in late
spring when bees are flying and the syrup is being used within a couple days
but I have heard that once set in a drum you can not liquify. I have never
had this problem and I have had a quite few drums of solid 42 over the
years.

An excellent article is in the June 2004 Bee Culture by Dr. Sanford on HFCS.
HFCS produced by the acid hydrolysis should be avoided but the process is
old technology and not used by either of our local HFCS plants. Beekeepers
buying off spec should always ask the process!

 >Also, as I recall, type 55, can often still be pumped when it is
granulating, since it tends to set soft, especially if diluted.

I agee and have never seen 55 set as solid as 42 but I keep an eye on all
stored HFCS. I use a 3-5 HP pump which will pump the granulating 55 but will
burn up belts (if used)  after awhile as belts slip when cold HFCS starting
to granulate is being pumped with a pump with a 3-5 hp motor on the bee feed
truck.

The above is from my direct experience. Others may have had different
experience. Please share with the list if different!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri