Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:36:59 GMT
>>I can say from experience however that in side-by-side
taste tests, organically grown tomatoes may not be more nutritious,
but they do actually taste better than their chemically produced
counterparts.

Nutrition is nutrients - all of the nutrients, or lack thereof, in
our food.  Some folks discount some nutrients as unimportant when
defining nutrition.:)

Could it be that the organic produce you tasted was allowed to fully
ripen?  When fruits and vegetable are allowed to reach maturity,
certain key phytochemicals, such as antioxidants, will be much higher
and the taste will be improved as well.

It's too bad that a lot of our food needs to be picked before
maturity to accommodate long-distance transit.  Local produce,
especially if raised organically, is the freshest and best.  Just
like local honey commands a higher demand than a lot of the
overcooked stuff on the supermarket shelf.

>>I prefer organically produced food because by purchasing it, I am
saying yes to smaller scale, sane, sustainable farming practices and
a traditional lifestyle in the only way that really counts- with my
dollars.

This is nice and I think this is right.  Sustainable agriculture,
including beekeeping and the grown plants bees forage on, is key if
want to leave a decent, sustainable planet to our kids and grandkids.

Waldemar