From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 08:41:45 +1000
> >One of these properties is being able to live in concentrations not
> experianced in the wild.
>
> Thanks Geoff!  I bring this point up when conversing with those promoting
> "natural beekeeping."
> As soon as one places several colonies in one location, there is no longer
> anything "natural" about the situation.

Ben Oldroyd apparentley found that feral colonies tended to group somewhat.
His words- "attracted to each other".  This observation was an aside to
looking at competition for nest sites between bees and Regent parrots IIRC.
So maybe this is part of the reason they will put up with being in yards.
Still, how many is too many?

Geoff Manning