From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:25:31 -0400
Hello,

I've had many calls this season for late swarms,
-August September.  The last time I observed this
in my area was in the 90's and the late swarms at that
time were all absconds from varroa, and varroa clearly
visible on the bees in the swarm.  The swarms then, also
appeared in a disorganized, or sickly state.

The late season swarms this season do not appear
sick, and I have not been able to detect more than
a couple varroa in these removals.  I really dont know
what to make of this surge in late swarms.

I consider bee removals at this time not worth the
effort, but I will occasionally accept a call for late
season removals.  I really have no use for the bees
at this time of the year, and dont think it is good to
combine late season to a colony which may be doing some
downsizing of its own.  So I have taken to releasing
these swarms in an area of woodland behind the house,
and checking a day or two later, and they usually have
moved on to a nest site by then.  I know these late
swarms are doomed to die during winter, but my hope
is that they will discover void in a tree and by their
death during winter, leave behind trace odors to
attract house hunting bees come May.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle