From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:16:20 -0700
> Hi:  A mathematical modeller contends that bee foraging flights can be
> modeled by diffusion theory.  Comments?

Well, I got to wondering exactly what the above cryptic and provocative question
might mean, so I dug up some references, listed below.  I would be interested to
know more specifically what is being suggested.

"Diffusion theory" is a term that is apparently applied to at least two fields
of study, one social and the other(s) physical.  (Maybe they are in fact the
same theory, but have not had  --and likely never will have -- time to
adequately consider this possibility).

I am assuming the physical/chemical model is suggested here, however, the social
theory could also be applied, but if so, the implication would be that we can
compare bee experience and behaviour to that of humans.

The physical theory has a number of applications, the behaviour of particles
(including light) and molecules at junctions, membranes, point sources, and are
all considered in the references below.

Anyhow, I'm hoping you can provide us with some more detail.

http://www.initium.demon.co.uk/fick.htm

http://student.biology.arizona.edu/honors98/group6/

http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/vc/theory/diffusion.html

http://student.biology.arizona.edu/honors98/group6/