Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:18:43 -0400
Ok, I've forwarded the Hanging Basket chatter - was in Maine, not NY, but
could be same.

As Bob Harrison says, in Missoula, greenhouses make up own baskets, but
sounds like urban areas get big shipments from overseas.  Who knows what  they
may have.

As per number bees - I just summarized this a few weeks ago - the ref book
is across town.  Bottom line, depending on age of bees, whether they were
smoked, etc.  you will find btw 4500 and 5000 bees per pound (454  gms).
I'll send you the numbers tomorrow when I get to my office.

Gastonia is working with fresh (wet) weight in their analysis.  Roger
takes your sample, adds dry ice, and grinds up the sample as received.

Literature on residue levels in bees very bad - seldom says whether
results  are based on wet weight, dry weight, or something in btw.  In  Europe,
they even have an odd metric called mg %.

PSU too stupid to even know this is an issue OR to know that you   can't
directly compare residue values with dose values.  You are correct,  dose
trials express  results on a PER BEE basis, usually on amount of  chemical
ingested or applied as a contact poison.  Residue values are  concentration per
gm (wet or dry depending on the sample prep).

Roger's lab does market basket surveys of produce, etc. - so he's geared up
 to do quick and dirty sample prep.  If its critical work, I have him COUNT
 the bees in the amount ground up for analysis.

You  are correct in flagging this question.

Jerry

In a message dated 6/15/2012 6:18:26 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Thu,  Jun 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is  there any data to show what was in/on the plants in those hanging
>  baskets?

Still waiting for that. There is a  candidate.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

LISTSERV(R) list management software.   For more information, go  to:

Guidelines for  posting to BEE-L can be found  at: