From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 21:17:12 -0500
Hello All,
I am always running experiments and testing things people tell me. I guess
comes from being from the "Show me" state.

I sold the last of my peach crop today. Had a good set. I was told if you
get a good peach set and the peaches don't freeze then almonds are possible
even in Missouri. No almonds yet after five years but the  sonora pollinator
tree has not bloomed.

My experiment started five years ago with non pariel almond trees (5). They
are now around 10 feet tall and were  loaded with blooms this spring. A
couple hundred hives were within a quarter mile and closer (in the orchard).

The pollinator tree a sonora was planted later on purpose. Did  not bloom
this year.

I was up watering some new trees (not almonds)I set out this year tonight
and looked closely at the five non-pariel almond trees. NOT ONE ALMOND!

Almond growers have always said they would get about half a crop WITHOUT
BEES. I don't think so! Or at least my experiment seems to show the non-
pariel (most widely planed variety of almonds I have been told) will NOT
self pollinate at all.

Mr. Resnick's (owner Paramount )lawyers say beekeepers have really not got a
choice but to try a court case or move bees the two mile limit.

Refusal to bring bees into Paramount almonds might change Mr. Resnicks mind.

Dave Bradshaw (facing lawsuit for refusal to move his bees back the two mile
limit as well as the land owner of the land) has told Paramount almonds that
he will not provide bees next year (he  brought in around a thousand hives
this spring).

What if the whole industry refused to pollinate Paramount almonds?

Bob Harrison thinking out loud.

Bob