From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:52:43 -0500
On 30 Jan 97 at 18:13, Stan Sandler wrote: mechanisms of tracheal mite
tolerance

> The interesting discussion about varroa mite resistance / tolerance has me
> curious about tracheal mites now.  In the types of bees that have shown
> greater tolerance what mechanisms contribute to this?

We have been working with Dr.Nasr and the Ontario Breeding program for a
number of years now. They can tell us wether our strain of bees are
resistant or tolerant to T-mites, but not a word about the mechanisms. It
has been known, for a long time, that the mature mite moves out and looks
for a new host under 4 days old. Beyond that, nothing.
        It is thought that the mites don't like the taste of the new host and
move back out, as there is record of bite marks in some tracheae but no
mites.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks