From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:40:06 -0700
"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I don't like drilling holes in my deeps.  I place a ~1/4" (0.65 cm)
dia stick under the top insulating newspaper.  The stick extends from
the inner cover hole to the edge of the inner cover.

When I kept bees in cantral Indiana, I overwintered in two hive bodies and placed 3/4" blocks at all four corners between the inner and outer covers.  These hives were on the west side of a barn and thus subject to the prevailing west winds.  In the three years I had the bees there I never had a winter deadout.  Maybe it was luck, but I am convinced that with the adequate stores and that vintellation, I never had a moisture problem during the winter and that put a lot less stress on the bees than if there had been less of an air flow and more of a moisture problem.

Mike in LA