Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2016 00:33:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
>>>  I found it interesting that the standard in the early days was one pound while today it is three
I'm think that a one pound package would not make it where I live ( Lower Alabama) because they would be overrun with small hive beetles before they could grow strong enough to control the influx of the small hive beetles. Mike in LA

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 2:02 PM, Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi All

I will have an article on building bees from packages and nucs, in an upcoming ABJ. This little bit did not make it in, as I just found it today and it's too late to add it. I saw a reference to Achord beginning package shipments in 1909 but this is the first clear record of them being offered for sale:

Queens and Half Pound Packages— strain of 3-banded Italian honey gatherers now ready for you. None better, none cheaper. Untested Italian queens 50c each. Half pound bees with untested queen, $1.75. Safe arrival and satisfaction guaranteed. D. S. Jenkins writes: "I got more bees in half pound packages from you than out of one pound packages from others and your queens would be laying next morning after released and the other fellows' queens it would take some of them 4 days to commence. You treated me right." W. D. Achord, Fitzpatrick, Ala. 

The Bee-keepers' Review, 1912 Volume 25 

I found it interesting that the standard in the early days was one pound while today it is three. I know that people purchase equal numbers of packages and extra queens and split the 3 pound packages in half. Also, I have done the same with nucs, splitting them in half on arrival.

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2