From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:19:42 -0800
--- Ian Steppler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am wondering, how would a fellow go about and
> observe the behavour and
> habbits of wintering mites in a colony?...

Hello Ian!

I hope this helps:

===start===
"Preferential distribution of the parasitic mite,
Varroa jacobsoni Oud. on overwintering honeybee (Apis
mellifera L.) workers and changes in the level of
parasitism"
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=23647

Abstract

“The distribution of Varroa jacobsoni on clustered,
overwintering workers of Apis mellifera was
investigated. The majority of mites were found between
the 3rd and 4th ventro-lateral tergites of the abdomen
with a significant preference for the left side of the
host. This position would enable the mites to place
their mouthparts in close proximity to the central
portion of the bees' ventriculus. This may allow the
mites access to nutrients at higher concentrations
than would occur elsewhere in the haemolymph. At the
start of winter, most infested bees carried only a
single mite but towards the end increasing numbers of
bees carried 2 or more mites. There was also an
increase in the mite : bee ratio and more mobile mites
(i.e. those moving about on the bees) were recorded.
These results suggest that the mites suffer a lower
overwinter mortality than the bees and are capable of
transferring to a new host either before the original
host dies or before it falls to the floor of the hive.
This will have consequences for the transfer of
diseases by Varroa within the hive.”
===end===

I have video of what appears to be a grooming
sequence, showing the bee getting the attention
lifting the left side of the 3rd. tergite just as a
guard bee approaches that area during the event.  Of
course, it could simply be a coincidence, perhaps the
bee exposing its vital parts during aggressive
inspection behavior from a guard bee.  ;)

Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles
FeralBeeProject.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs