From:
Luis & Faby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:36:33 -0600
Greetings to all from Mexico !

There are just tremendous numbers of swarms in this part of Mexico, since
there are many beekeepers, many feral colonies and ALL africanized (the
swarm more often).

I believe this could be an easy way to improve our colony numbers, since we
could handle an extra 200-300 colonies.  So I am planning to set 200 swarm
traps next month.  I will buy cardboard boxes about the size of a normal
hive box and platic boxes to cover them.  I will then make a whole on the
bottom of the box and hang this traps on the roads and near my apiaries to
recatch my own bees.

I have asked the manufacturer (PheroTech) for information on the swarm lures
that are supposed to attract swarms by freeing a Queen feromone. Is this
atractant worthy?  I have also heard that lemon-grass (that's how it is
called in spanish: Pasto de limsn) can be put inside the trap as an
atractant. Are there any other natural attractans?

Another question: Should the boxes be empty? Should I put a frame of
foundation? Should I put old frames in the box?

I will thank very much any information or comments on how I can do this
correctly.

(please forgive my english grammar)

           Luis Rommel Beutelspacher
   (\      Maya Honey S.A. de C.V.