From:
Timothy Eisele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:59:18 -0400
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Mark Walker wrote:
<concerning formic acid:>
> Tracheal mites with no fear of a resistance developing, unlike Apistan and
> Checkmite.

I am very puzzled by this.  What are the grounds for the claims that the
mites will never become resistant to formic acid or oxalic acid?  I saw
this claim in several posts about oxalic acid earlier today, and now
here about formic acid.  So far, I don't remember seeing anyone challenge
this.

I personally don't see the justification for the claim.  If the chemical
doesn't kill the bees, then why on earth would it be "impossible" for
the mites to at least develop the same level of resistance as what the
bees already have?  Remember that "resistance" doesn't mean "absolute
immunity to the effects of the treatment", it just means that the
resistant mites can tolerate a little bit more, so that dosages that
will kill the mites also become dangerous to the bees.

So, when claims are made that mites cannot become resistant to a
particular treatment, is there any grounds for this, or is it just
wishful thinking?

--
Tim Eisele