From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:37:22 +0000
The patent for the bee product is open for all to read, and much of the original research has been published.

I understand the patent, and I have read the research. I have also read subsequent research by others but the original PIs have ceased to publish on it, which is puzzling. They are very disingenuous when asked about non-target effects. Anyone who has been following the topic of RNA interference knows that a study was done on the effects of GFP (green fluorescent protein) which is used as a negative control. GFP alone had profound effects on larval development. Additionally RNA triggers responses unrelated to the specific coding.

Finally, as I pointed out, RNA interference as a pest control measure may have far more potential to cause the development of resistance than anything we have used yet. What this means is that it could drive the evolution of super bugs faster than conventional pesticides, and create far more virulent strains. The idea that the PIs are beavering away in labs cloaked by the wall of proprietary secrecy does not inspire me with confidence. I don't suppose they will share what they learn at all.

Pete