From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:58:07 -0500
Hi All,
Excerpted from Andy Nachbaur 1996:
from http://www.beesource.com/pov/andy/sad_bad.htm

 "The decline in colony populations of bees experienced by beekeepers in
California during the winter of 1987-88 is not a new phenomenon, and has
been reported by beekeepers in California and elsewhere [world-wide] for
over 100 years. It is my opinion based on thirty five years of observations
and lots of library research, that this dramatic loss of bees will continue,
and at times we may even have more frequent episodes of epic, unexplained
losses of bees.

 Stress Accelerated Decline [SAD] and Bee Immune Deficiency [BAD] are not
new spectacles in managing honeybees, or is it even limited to honeybees.
They have been described in the popular and scientific literature for over
one hundred years, by both beekeepers and biologists.

The SAD or BAD condition in bees in the United States has been called by
many names in years past. Such as Isle of Wight Disease, Afro-hereditary
Disease, fall, winter, or spring Collapse or Decline, and Disappearing
Disease. The cause has been diagnosed by biologists as everything from poor
nutrition to pest infestations. Such as the TRACHEAL MITE, which is at this
time is the populace view. It is my opinion, based on my own experience with
bees, that all of the above and every other natural and unnatural condition
that afflicts bees, that can be identified as stressful can be made scape
goat for SAD or BAD bees. (Including weather; hot, cold, wet or dry;
pesticides; and management; good or bad.)"

His point is, bees can go from boomers to a queen and 20 workers following a
stress event--generally poor pasture.  Sounds a lot like the report!

Randy Oliver
Calif