From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:16:31 +0000
Hi all,
I guess folks must have missed my reference to the many factors involved in dairy production. I never stated that the increase was solely due to breeding, and it is quite apparent also that it cannot be solely attributed to growth hormones, either. The increase attributable to hormones has been estimated at 10% and the treatment is NOT universally adopted. Also, despite claims  on Wikipedia (not a reliable source) it has been approved in many countries besides the US. And the countries that don't use it are producing far more milk than before due to the combination of factors. Here is what I posted, in part:

> The success of selection for increased milk production in dairy cows is apparent. There are, of course, many reasons for this success. Among these are improvements in genetic selection methods and associated use of artificial insemination, better fulfillment of nutritional needs and diet formulation, and careful attention to mastitis control and milking management. Development of new management tools (i.e., bovine somatotropin, improved crops, estrus detection devices, estrus synchronization, monitoring of individual animal performance, and disease prevention) should not be forgotten. -- Journal of Dairy Science.  Volume 83, Issue 5, May 2000, Pages 1151-1158

* * *

The public discussion between proponents and opponents of ST, in particular bST, has
been controversial and typically has involved scientists responding to misinformation
disseminated by groups who oppose the use of animals for food production or oppose
the adoption of new technology in general. Many of the claims made by opponents of
agricultural biotechnology are designed to scare the public rather than address the
scientific facts.

Consumers form perceptions about a food’s safety based either on what they hear
from scientists or alternatively from activists whose ideas are not supported by valid
scientific findings. From a scientific viewpoint, bST and pST are efficacious and safe
products.

Results from more than 2,000 studies support the position that these technologies
do not increase risk for either the consumer or the target animal. As the
world population continues to expand, advances in technology which increase productivity
and productive efficiency will be imperative. Nonetheless, it is the attitudes
and beliefs of consumers about bST, pST and other products of biotechnology that
will determine whether they will be adopted successfully.

from:
The Efficacy, Safety and Benefits of Bovine Somatotropin and Porcine Somatotropin
Terry D. Etherton, Ph.D.
Professor of Animal Nutrition and Physiology
Pennsylvania State University