From:
Marc Party <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:14:48 EDT
Question:  How old can an old comb be before and old comb becomes a waste comb?

I bougth my equipment from  a neighbour about 5 years ago.  With this
equipment was old comb - some old comb that hasn't been used for years. I
have also put aside some old comb of my own.  With the INCREDIBLE honey flow
going on at this very moment, I have the option of using this old comb to
give to my bees, or of going through the painstaking task of putting in
foundation on new frames.  I have to get this done in the next 5 days.    I
have the following types of comb:

- old brood comb, very dark, very heavy frame.
- old honeycomb, cracked, very dry
- comb that was stored wet with residual honey, now containing green fungus;
some is still humid, others are dry;
- comb stored wet with green fungus AND some orangey stuff too.
- comb in which, sob, my bees died 2 winter ago.  The comb still contains
many dead but dry bees well inserted into the cells.
- combs with big holes chewed into them by mice.
- combs with combinations of the above.

In the worst case scenario, I see myself opening a museum of old comb.

Looking forward to your replies.

Marc Patry
Near Ottawa, Ontario