Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 12:46:27 -0400
All

Just to give everyone a heads up, on Sept 30, 2011, I retired from The
University of  Montana - 37 years Creditable Service (40 years of  University
work, if you count a post doc at MSU before I transferred to  UM).  Plus,
I've exceeded the 65 years of  age required for full  benefits, and I can pull
SS.

But, that does not mean I'm going to disappear, or that I and my associates
 are quitting bee research.

I have just received my first retirement pay check.  As such, under  State
of MT Retirement Rules,  I am now able to resume working  for UM under an ~
1/3 time contract, continuing to direct the  state's Energy Related Research
and Education Programs.  I am the  State Director for Montana's US Dept of
Energy's EPSCoR (Experimental Program to  Stimulate Competitive Research).
I've been the Director for 17 years, and  we are starting Year 4 of a 6 Year
Project concerning underground storage of  CO2.  So, with luck, I get to
work 1/3 time for UM for another 3  years.

Retirement free's up time to take a more active role in Bee Alert
Technology, Inc., the company I founded in 2003 with four UM partners to  foster
Technology Transfer and to provide contract R&D and  Services.  We have several
ongoing projects, some that address bees,   and some that are more focused
on Design, Development, and Testing of  specialized electronic devices such
as a Satellite Communicating Traffic Stop  Light  System.

The joke is that I've moved from two full time jobs to two part time jobs,
which brings me to a normal full time equivalent, as my retirement.

Also, as of Sept 30, we finally have the honey bee and laser detection
system for landmines and other things fully developed, with turn-key hardware
systems, and full integrated software for a plug and play system.

The biggest technical hurdle has been the lasers for mapping bees across
fields (in 3-D space).  It took 7 years, but we now have two really good
LIDAR instruments, that can see bees and locate them with centimeter
resolution.  These instruments are at least 100x more sensitive than  anything we've
had in the past, are small enough to carry about (~35 #), and  go  to work
with the flip of a switch, producing maps of bee locations in  the field.
That's a REALLY big breakthrough, the one that we needed to  make all of this
work.

So, at this time, we're working out what our company is going to be in  the
 future.  I've got a talented crew, and they will transition   into taking
over more and more of the day to day work.  We are primarily a  firm that
works under contract to provide research, consultation, and more or  less
anything a customer  needs, as long as we have the expertise.   Since 1/2 of my
partners are electronic design and assembly experts, we can  custom build a
wide array of electronic gizmos.  We specialize in one off  work, we'd
rather solve a problem, provide a service, or build something custom  than just
do the same old thing over and over.

I'd appreciate suggestions from Bee-L of services, products that you as
individuals and as an industry as a whole, that are needed, and that we might
be  able to provide.  We're exploring options, trying to determine what we
are,  where we are going.

In the meantime, I'm sticking around to see what turns up.

Jerry