From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 19:16:08 -0800
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Jean-Pierre Chapleau wrote:

> " Perhaps the bees are drunk?  Syrup will ferment if
> water gets into it, but the bees will still take it sometimes. "
> ---------------------------------
>
> Yes bees effectively get drunk and when drunk they behave very strangely.  I do not know if they get drunk by drinking fermented syrup or only by breathing alcohol vapors from fermented syrup but fermented syrup can make them drunk.
>
> I am a bee breeder.  For years I have been puzzled by some mating nucs in which I was finding the majority of the population dead or dying from apparently drowning in the syrup can inside the mating hive.  I finally found the explanation this year, after 20 year observing this phenomenon.  (You will say I am quite slow!).  At first sight it looks like the whole colony is committing suicide by voluntarily trying to drown into the syrup can !  I finally realized that in all cases, leftover syrup had fermented in the can and there was a strong alcohol odor in the mating nuc !

 Hi Jean- Pierre,  I have seen the same problem. When using division board
feeders and migritory top , you can get water into your feeders.In
Washington State USA we get plenty of rain. So you have to protect the
bees from the water and need to ventilate at the same time.
 I feel we loose more bees to moisture in the hive than anything else.We
were loosing bees in the winter long before the mites showed up. I feel
that well kept bees will winter over if they are given what they really
need.Most of the books give us the info that we need. We just need to do
it. Some areas are very cold and need extra protection.

 Best Regards
 Roy