From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:29:30 -0500
Dick Allen wrote:

> One final note: In a previous post a group member mentioned not being aware
> of any documented cases of mites entering queen cells. I ran across this in
> the slide script for the set of slides on Honey Bee Parasites, Pests, and
> Predators put out by the MAAREC consortium. “Varroa mites have a definite
> preference for drone brood; however worker brood also is attacked. Queen
> brood is used only in cases of heavy infestation.”

The explanation of not finding mites in queen cells can be as simple as
probability. If you have a reduced mite load, the probability of the
mites finding the queen cell is low, especially if you factor in
preferences for drone cells. Plus, there is also a probability that the
bees would remove an "infected" queen before she emerges. There is also
the distinct probability that queen cells which had mites would go
unobserved. Not many of us tear apart queen cells looking for mites.
Plus there is the fact that queen cells are only available at certain
times in the year, not necessarily when high mite loads are expected.
All those probabilities coupled together make the actual probability of
seeing mites in queen cells very low. Hence, you can arrive at the
conclusion that mites do not frequent queen cells, and be incorrect. It
is just that the probability of observing them is so low that most cells
would have no mites.

However, increase the mite load (heavy infestation) and you increase the
probability that you will find mites in queen cells, as observed above.
Add that it is a scientific study where they are looking and you further
increase the probability that you will find mites in queen cells.

An aside- while I was writing this we had a power failure. I am very
happy I have a UPS ( Uninterrupted power supply ) and was able to save
this message and shut my computer down gracefully. Nice to have. Lost a
hard drive in a power failure so bought the UPS.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME