Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:49:39 EST
According to Tony Bloor:

> Hi,
>
> This is the start of my second year of beekeeping, having commenced last
> season with two colonies.  My aim is to have increased to six hives by the
> autumn which I hope to achieve by obtaining swarms.>
> However, I understand that there were a number of reported Varroa cases in
> the county (Staffordshire) last year, the closest being approximately ten
> miles away.
>
> Would it be wise to avoid this method of making increase or I am just
> delaying the inevitable? I would be interested to know if there are any
> common practices around this issue.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony

Hi, Tony,

Two suggestions-- First, install any swarm on new foundation.
Any foulbrood they may be carrying in their honey stomachs will
be destroyed as they use it to generate wax to build new comb.
If they are provided with drawn comb they will store some of
the honey they brought with them, also storing any disease
spores.

Second, after the swarm has settled in -- about a week -- treat
with Apistan.  Wait till they are raising brood or they might
leave.  A new swarm won't store any surplus honey until long
after the treatment period is over, so there is no danger of
contamination if you follow removal directions.  This will
clean up any Varroa the bees might have and give the colony a
good start.

If Varroa has been found within ten miles of you, you'll be
dealing with it before this season is over.  Might as well get
ready.  .  .  .

FWIW and Good Luck

Cordially,

Fred