From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:50:14 -0600
 (For imports, I am > all for microscopic sampling at the port of entry, not
mere a visual
> inspection)

You are entitled to your opinion and freedom of speech makes the U.S. great!
However holding up package bees at the port of entry is in my opinion very
stupid! A pallet belongs to the beekeeper at that point and is worth approx.
forty five to fifty thousand dollars!(uninsured dollars!)

All of us involved with import bees ( I was involved with the first import)
want all the inspections on those bees which can be done done but ONLY
before shipped into the U.S.. \

The flight is 18 hours direct through for California. What changes happened
along the way that makes inspection at point of entry needed?

Why would you even suggest holding up those bees?

Getting airport inspections is simply another headache (of many) in getting
live bees shipped around the world. Aphis did not show up for the first
import arrival nor has been at any other arrival to my knowledge. They trust
the Australian inspection service and the Australians check for everything
asked for. However we have been over this before and frankly I am getting
tired of the same old drumbeat!

Or could it be their geographic isolation that has disallowed
> migratory mite-infected bees in the vicinity?

We are talking about an island in the middle of an ocean! Duh!

> Is this evidence not hard enough?

No!

 Our politicians could in my opinion (from a recent conversation with one
and off the record and with friends can be blunt) care less if a remote
island has varroa , those beekeepers have to deal with varroa and if they
can't learn to live with varroa have to buy imported honey (like most of
America ) as their voting block is very small. Maybe I am being too blunt
but after awhile I get blunt when it seems my point is not being made. I
clealy understand what you are saying. Do you understand my position?

Losing a huge amount of money by bees dying at the airport when the
inspecting could be done (and supposedly is being done despite what Jim
Fischer says) before shipment is simply not a risk those beekeepers
importing bees are willing to accept. Surely you understand our position.
Are you going to sample all 400 packages on a pallet at the airport? Only
one bee per package? get real!

 I guess we are going to have to "agree to disagree" Yoon.

As I posted before despite what Jim F. calls the lack of regulations letting
those bees be inspected once installed in hives in the U.S. every beekeeper
I have spoken with has said they would let the USDA-ARS inspect those
package bees after arrival ONCE INSTALLED! not a single beekeeper  objected!

bob

--
believed to be clean.