From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:59:11 EST
I forwarded Jerry's mail to a friend and her response is thus (with a  little
light editing!):

Chris

"Poor chap. Sadly, I have agree with his position on the dismal basis most
research (and regulatory tests too come to think of it), are conducted and
reviewed. And actually beekeepers are some of the worse practitioners and
beneficiaries of 'applied science'. For example we know the hive is a complex
chemical world and we know we do not understand and cannot yet explain  all the
hows and whys. Regardless man made chemicals are approved  and licensed for use
in the hive, without a full and proper understanding  of the effect of the
insertion on the bee base. Man made  chemicals are approved on the basis that they
kill the mite and do not kill  the bees outright. Very scientific.... I think
what we are seeing now  maybe the result of too many sub lethal combinations
i.e chemical upon chemical  from source after source, from the beekeeper
direct, pesticides from the farmers  & gardeners etc etc

And the students, well, I am afraid there is always a 'brittle' contingent,
who have learnt all they know by rote - that is what they know and understand
and that is all there is. I can think of many fully fledged professors and
scientists in the same mould with inflexible and unimaginative minds, unable to
 process alternative thoughts from current information. Science for science
sake  = fake science. Rxxxxx and Dxxxxxx spring to mind.

Sounds like he behaved in a perfectly proper professional manner with his
audience. New news is not always popular as people have to re think or re learn.
 For what it is worth, I for one think he is far down the right track. Most
interesting. Thanks".