Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:58:01 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

> It has been suggested that the cell size influences mite reproduction. However, if there is such an effect, it is small and of little practical value.

Research strategies to improve honeybee health in Europe
Robin F.A. Moritz, Joachim de Miranda, Ingemar Fries, Yves Le Conte, Peter Neumann, Robert J. Paxton

Yes Peter, this is the opinion of Fries et al.  ...but the document you cite:
http://www2.biologie.uni-halle.de/zool/mol_ecol/bee-shop/publ/papers/Fries_Lindstroem_2010_Breeding%20disease%20resistant%20honeybees.pdf
...has some other interesting nuggets.

"Decades of selection based on one or several characteristics as mentioned have not produced
mite tolerant bees that survive without mite control. However, such mite tolerant colonies exist

Breeding disease resistant honeybees Fries and Lindström, 2010
nevertheless. The common characteristic for such populations of bees is, also in Europe, that
they have been exposed to natural selection, rather than directed selection efforts in apiculture.
Thus, we know that co-existence between mites and bees can be achieved."

"Unfortunately, the removal of mites through mite control, also removes any selective
disadvantage for the mite of killing the host. And likewise, by removing mites through mite
control any selective advantage for the bees of being mite tolerant, is disguised."

I agree with the above...but his "solution" seems like what has been being done for some years now...where are the results? (yes, I know this was published in 2010, but this is not a new methodology):

" However, it is
not realistic to suggest large scale natural selection to be the method of choice for breeding more
mite tolerant bees. The reason for this is the devastating effects it would have on honeybee
populations, and even worse, on the eco service they provide, pollination. A practical solution to
this dilemma is firstly to breed for hygienic bees, which has some positive effects, and then
allow mite numbers to grow enough for comparative differences between different breeding lines
to be exposed. In short, this means mite control but not enough to cover existing differences
between potential breeder queens in mite population growth. Ultimately, such an approach is
likely to cause some damage and possibly even some loss of colonies. But the alternative is
probably a never-ending dependence on mite control for colony survival."