Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Bob said:
>>Bee population in a hive is regulated by many factors. small cell does not
mean a larger hive population even if there are  more cells for the queen to
lay.<<
I have to give my view on this particular point.  A comparison of 5,5 with 4,9 cell size gives a an increase of around 25% in the number of cells in any given area.  This obviously means that early in spring  the small cell colonies are at an advantage as 25% more bees can be warmed/raised by the cluster of ''winter bees'' AND also means that there is the potential for 25% more bees per generation if conditions (food supply and queen fecundity) permit it.  It also means that the small cell hive is able to change from a ''winter bee'' population to a ''spring bee'' population more easily and pass through this critical period more comfortably.   Our and others experiences with small cell have shown quite clearly that there is a real explosion of bee population in the spring in comparison to large cell colonies.  This actually maybe one of the ways that the small cell hives manage to stay ahead of damaging Varroa populations - though there are many other factors as well that affect this relationship.  I would have thought that more bees per hive would be a good defence against  Aethina tumida.
Best regards
Roger White
Superbee Cyprus.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2