Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:27:02 GMT
>...the trap frames that I use have no foundation, and close to 99 out of a hundred are drawn out in early spring as solid drone comb.

This can reliably be had in strong colonies in the 1st half of the season if one systematically culls drone cells in worker frames to below the bees' desired threshold.  It's rare in ferals, where only the bees control the comb composition.  In ferals, drone cell clusters are scattered around the perifery of the broodnest.

Waldemar