From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:58:55 -0500
> ... uses a mental picture of the location the hole ... as proof of bees
> conciousness.

In the world of psychology there is a big distinction between rote memory
(a mental picture of the location the hole) and conciousness (thinking about
the hole, wondering about the hole, having thoughs about ways to make the
hole better, bigger, more round, able to hold more prey).  Most writings
assert that the limited size of a honey bee brain is only capable of the
former (rote memory) but insufficient to attain the latter (cogitation).

Personally, I'll go with Tom Barrett's theory that they (honey bees) are
interpreting their (our) world on a totally different plane, an alien plane
if you will.

Aaron Morris - thinking we think too much!