From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:46:12 -0500
> From  D. "Never heard that before . . . "

> Acetic acid - I used it as a stop bath between developing and fixing
> trays. 80%  solution used as described was normal method of sterilizing
> combs which may have been contaminated with nosema spores during which it
> was found to control wax moth. No danger if used correctly and out of
> doors,

The above is also my knowledge.

My friends in Europe report acetic use widespread. In my opinion not common
in the U.S..
Not easily available . The only method I have heard of is to stack around
7-10 supers with an empty on top then place a cup of liquid acetic acid on
top. When the acid has evaporated the treatment is done. tightly seal the
stack.

I think the 10% Clorox solution and let dry is most likely as effective for
nosema spores but
in Europe I believe the acetic is used to kill European foulbrood spores?

I have never used acetic acid nor seen the procedure but the procedure is
talked about in an couple years ago ABJ article on nosema.

bob