From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 15:35:37 +0000
Very interesting discussion!

"Why would they collect sawdust?  I think that perhaps they are unable to
evaluate what appears pollen-like?"

Here in Alberta, my bees bring in bird seed and coffee grounds every spring to the hive until the pollen flow starts. What are they seeking?"

When I studied neurobiology many years ago, we learned that one reason insects were popular study organisms for researching the nervous system was the degree to which they are "hard-wired", meaning that they display many innate behaviors.   This was very convenient to experimentation, and that was the point, but in the context of this discussion it could explain why bees bring home birdseed, fungal spores, or sawdust instead of pollen.  Innate behaviors can be adaptive because the insect hatches and "hits the ground running"...it doesn't have to learn as much before engaging with its environment, and so innate behaviors can give the animal a survival edge.  But the behaviors can also be maladaptive.  For instance, bees engage in trophyllaxis when properly stimulated.  Hive beetles have figured this out and can make the "stupid" bees feed them.  But we know bees can also learn...so there is a mix of "automatically triggered" behavior and learned behavior among bees.

Perhaps the presence of brood substance/pheromones in spring triggers an innate "bring home the pollen" behavior that bees engage in?  If there is no pollen, the urge is so strong that they collect whatever could "pass" for pollen (bring home the bacon, or the cheese, or the fungus)?

Kristine and Randy both noted that the hives they found collecting fungal spores were stressed, and did not subsequently perform well.  My data set (of just one hive!) also did not perform well after the gathering of the tiny black spheres.  So perhaps we have learned that when we see bees bringing in odd materials other than pollen, we should be looking to see what is bothering them.

Christina