Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:09:38 -0700
?> Do all you bear country beekeepers feel safe working in your apiaries?  I
mean to you need to look over your shoulder for a bear.  I understand black
bears steer clear of humans...

I was out with a beekeeper to inspect some hives in September.  We arrived
at the yard to find a mid-sized young male black bear working on several. of
them.  It was late afternoon. Picture at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2010/DSCF7269.JPG, and a bit more
about it at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2010/diary091010.htm

The bear left and went several hundred yards to the bush, but then turned
and began returning.  We got into our vehicles.  The bear went away again,
but we kept a careful watch.