From:
Richard Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 08:07:45 +0000
At 02:59 PM 9/4/97 +0000, you wrote:
>We also seem to be having a more or less varroa free year in Missoula,
>Montana. We intentionally keep some varroa infested hives for our
>research, but no sign of the beasts.  Nor have we seen any in our hives in
>Maryland.
>
>I'd be interested in reports of areas where varroa has been a problem this
>year.  Are the successes of the various treatments due to the treatment or
>just an artifact of a natural cycling in the varroa populations.
>
>Jerry Bromenshenk

I live in the southwest area of Portland, Oregon. Since I got mites a few
years back I have been treating with Apistan.  I treated in spring this
year.  After removing the honey crop in late August, and going thru the
hives in detail, everyone (11) had significant mite infestation.  Some so
bad, I am worried about their winter survival.  I have treated with Apistan
for the fall and will closely monitor the hives over the waning weeks of
good weather.

Rick Grossman