From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:04:48 -0400
>> ...if your queen supplier sells you queens that are
>> still susceptible to tracheal mites, find a new queen
>> supplier.  This is the 21st Century, and anyone selling
>> tracheal-mite susceptible stock is either lazy or
>> incompetent.

> I tend to agree with you, but I wonder, how one is to know,
> until losses occur or bees are pulled apart?  Is there any
> sure way to know when purchasing queens, other than buying
> strains known for the trait, regardless of other considerations?

Simple.  You ask.

If they hem and haw, you hang up.
If they laugh and say "of course we bred in t-mite resistance
years ago", you place an order.

I've yet to hear of a queen supplier lying about something
so basic, as it would be trivial to verify the claim.

> And, if a breeder has TM resistant bees this year can we
> know that will be true next year?

I'd say that once a producer gets decent stock, they tend
to keep that stock from degrading, but this is yet
another reason for my oft-repeated refrain:
"The Price of Honey Is Eternal Vigilance".

> Apparently the trait is all over the map in bees from
> popular US queen suppliers, at least a few years back.

Caveat Emptor.

The popular saying "Trust in Allah, but tie your camel"
is garbled and misleading in the extreme.  The actual
phrase, as used in places where camels are found, is
"Trust in Allah, AND tie your camel". (The camel-owners
know that faith aside, camels are sure to wander off.)

Best of all, know your queen producer, look him in the
eye on a regular basis, and listen to him.  Let him
look YOU in the eye and realize that you know where
he lives, and are not hesitant about "visiting".
Works wonders.  :)