From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:55:35 -0400
Chris Slade says "The difficulty
Americans experience in dissolving X pounds of sugar in Y gallons of water
according to the recipe is caused by your gallons being smaller.  English
capacity measures are 20 fluid ounces to a pint (not your 16) and 8pints to
gallon.  Somebody who is better at maths than I am will be able to tell us
what the adjusted recipe should be."

Of course, and do I feel stupid!  I had forgot all about the imperial gallon
(as we in America call it).  The US gallon is 128 ounces and the imperial
gallon is 160 ounces and that is a huge difference (25%).  I bet this is
also why I have never been able to get Nick Wallingford's ratios to work.

If 112 pounds of sugar should go into 7 imperial gallons or 1,120 ounces,
which is equal to 112 pounds of sugar to 8.75 US gallons. This should make
about 15 gallons of sugar syrup suitable for fall feeding.

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm) the finest in comb honey production.