Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:49:42 +-100
Hi All
A while back on the beekeeping newsgroup there was some discussion about Straw Hives and Skeps.  I was surprised to find out that Skep Beekeeping was not allowed in many countries due to the fact that the combs could not be examined properly.  The discussion in this group about the sterilisation of hives which were contaminated by AFB made me think about this again.  A new national hive in Britain will cost about 200 pounds sterling which is about 300 dollars.  I would be very loath to burn or even scald a new hive and I am sure many people must feel the same.  This must contribute to the spread of the disease.  Skeps on the other hand have the advantage that they cost nothing except your time in making them.  They are disposable.  I think they have been unjustly blamed for spreading disease.

Harry
Scotland