From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:58:54 -0400

> Having lived in both the east and the west, I have observed the fact that
> western beekeepers tend to have large yards (60-120) and eastern
> beekeepers, small ones (12-36). I don't believe this reflects anything
> other than tradition.

East coast here. I know if I have more than 15 or 20 hives per yard, the
colonies don't do well. Honey yields decrease significantly, mites end up
being more of a problem, and colonies end up declining. It's that way with
almost everyone I've spoken to in the state.

I'd love to, and tried to get up to 60 colonies per yard, but have never
been able to get there. I suspect there's something more than tradition
dictating that decision.