Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:38:11 -0500
Most journals have very specific word limits on Abstracts, e.g.,  100-200.
Before one gets too critical, try writing your  own abstract  for any
article, keeping the word limit in mind.  A paper that I  co-authored and
published in Science in the 80s was included in a Tech Writing  Book for College
Students.  The challenge in the text book was for each  student to read the
article, then write a new abstract.  It took six  of us several iterations
before we managed to produce an abstract that  adequately described the study,
given the word limit.  I suspect students  using this Tech Writing manual
hate us.

As per Allen's comments that " copyright law permits sharing of information
in  limited circumstances. Has anyone researched this question under US
law? ...I  assume that if one obtains a copy of a study that one can legally
allow others  to read it.  There must be some limit to that right, but where
is the line  drawn?"

In the US, one can legally make copies of abstracts, short excerpts, as
explained by Peter.  For articles, one can usually make a single copy  for
personal use, but that copy can't be distributed.    However,  if you access a
book, you aren't allowed to copy nor distribute a  copy of the whole book.

All of this affects college courses.  For classes  and distribution to
classes, one has to jump some  additional hurdles, obtain permissions,
licenses, etc.   Generally, each student could go to library, or on-line  to obtain
their OWN copy, but one can't just copy an article and pass it out to the
class.  At many colleges and universities,  distribution materials are
organized by the instituion's library to make sure all of the copywrite  annd
distribution guidelines are followed.

Allen also commented: "If one writes a researcher, typically that
researcher will respond with a copy of the study, either in paper or by  email.
Researchers routinely send one another copies of studies which  impact their
common interest."

Depending on the journal, the AUTHOR(s) may retain copyright to their own
work.  Many of my colleagues post PDFs of their own articles -  but this may
be a violation of copyright agreements that they signed -  depends on the
policy of each journal.  If I get a request to re-publish  any or all of an
article with my name on it as the author or a co-author,  I ask the requestor
to obtain permission from the publisher.

Also, some journals provide a limited number of print copies to the author
for distribution, response to requests such as Allen mentioned.  Some will
SELL additional copies to the author.

On-line  journals may provide unlimited free access (the open  library
concept), or may require one to pay a fee for  each download.

In addition, in the US there often is an embargo on articles  prior to
publication.  If one writes an article, and it is accepted for  publication, the
authors can not release the article nor any press releases  before the
article appears as an on-line or print copy.  For example, the  PLOS journals
even specify the date and TIME that the embargo will be  lifted.

Jerry